Ronald McDonald House Cardiff
To help continue to support thousands of families each year you can donate directly to this House.
We have started building!
We're excited to be building our first ever Ronald McDonald House in Wales. It will provide free 'home away from home' accommodation for families who have children being treated at the Noah's Ark Children's Hospital and the neo-natal intensive care unit at University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff.
We hope to have the House complete by Autumn 2017.
More than just a place to stay
Going to a hospital far from home can be a frightening experience for a child; it's important that they have their families close by for love and comfort. Ronald McDonald House Cardiff will provide free accommodation for these families, somewhere they can call home when they're miles from their own front door. It offers support and a safe environment where families can share their experiences with others in similar situations.
We're still raising money to complete the project, furnish and equip the interior and secure vital first year running costs of the House.
- The House will have 30 en suite bedrooms as well as kitchens, lounges, playroom areas, and laundry facilities
- It will cost over £5.5 million to construct
- It will cost us £25 per night to accommodate one family
...so every penny counts!
Why it's needed
The children's hospital expects to provide specialist medical care for up to 100,000 children each year. The existing hospital accommodation is not able to accommodate every family who needs to stay close to their sick child. Once open, the Ronald McDonald House will be able to support 30 families each night of the year, completely free of charge.
- Ronald McDonald Houses help families strengthen coping abilities by keeping families together.
- Parents whose children have longer hospital stays benefit from higher quality sleep at a Ronald McDonald House compared to parents who slept at their child’s hospital bedside.
- Ronald McDonald Houses provide spaces to play. Playing with other children experiencing similar situations can help these children cope with trauma.
- Ronald McDonald Houses could save a family with a sick child as much as £282 per week in unexpected extra costs, such as travel, eating out and hotel bills.
Help us support more families
Ronald McDonald House Charities and the families we support need you! Help us raise the vital first year running costs of the brand new Cardiff House by giving what you can.Donate
"The health board welcomes the opportunity to work with Ronald McDonald House Charities who have significant experience providing support to parents and families in a number of other children's hospitals across the UK. We hope that through this collaboration we will be able to provide improved care and help to families when they are supporting children being treated at the Noah's Ark Children's Hospital for Wales."
Phil Barry Directorate Manager for Child Health
Latest News & Events at the Ronald McDonald House Cardiff
We were blown away by the creative ideas our friends across Cardiff came up with to raise money for …
read full article