Local charity celebrates ten year anniversary with VIP
MP for Tooting and former junior doctor, Dr. Rosena Allin-Khan, joined families and sick children at Ronald McDonald House Tooting on Sunday to celebrate its 10th anniversary.
The House is run by Ronald McDonald House Charities, an independent charity, and helps hundreds of families each year by providing free ‘home away from home’ accommodation for families with children at St George’s Hospital.
Dr Rosena Allin-Khan is a passionate supporter of the Charity and knows first-hand the vital work they do to keep families together after working in the A&E department at St George’s Hospital, just moments away from the House. She attended the party to meet families, staff, and say a few kind words.
On the day (Sunday 18 September) there were kids’ activities and cake and tea. Families who have previously stayed at the House were invited to catch-up with staff, and the annual get together was a chance for the Charity to thank all the families who fundraise for Ronald McDonald House Charities each year.
At the party, Dr Rosena Allin-Khan said: “Today at Ronald McDonald House Tooting's 10th birthday party, I chatted with families that have seriously sick children in St George's Hospital tonight. Hearing what a lifeline this free ‘home away from home’ is really drives my passion to support this Charity. I joined staff, volunteers and families past and present to celebrate 10 years of love and energy that has gone in to supporting hundreds of families over the years.”
Rachel Tween, House Manager at Ronald McDonald House Charities, says: “I have been manager of Ronald McDonald House Tooting for the last two years and can honestly say I have fallen in love with this Charity and the amazing work we do. Families always say they are overwhelmed by this House and its team, and how being there for them when they need us the most is something they never forget. When these amazing families want to give back it just goes to show how grateful they are, as the families understand how much our support is valued in a time of need.”
Ronald McDonald House Tooting has eight en suite bedrooms, a kitchen, lounge area and laundry facilities, providing everything a family could need to continue some semblance of normal life.
For more information on Ronald McDonald House Charities, visit www.rmhc.org.uk
For more information, pictures or to speak to someone please contact:
Lucy Yelland T: 020 7922 7720 M. 0751 5499 662
Notes to editors:
1. Ronald McDonald House Tooting is run by Ronald McDonald House Charities - an independent charity that provides free ‘home away from home’ accommodation at hospitals across the UK. The Charity enables seriously ill children to have their families close by when they are undergoing treatment and allows them to maintain a degree of normal family life.
2. Last year, the Tooting House helped 123 families stay close to their children being treated at St George’s Hospital.
3. There are 14 Ronald McDonald Houses in the UK and in 2015, they helped support over 7,000 families with children in hospital.
4. Ronald McDonald House Charities relies on the generosity of supporters and fundraisers, including McDonald’s customers, without whom it would be unable to continue its work.
5. The Charity was founded in 1989 and has been keeping families together for more than 25 years.