New Tooting MP shows support for charity
Tooting’s new MP, Dr Rosena Allin-Khan, attended the Family Fun Day at St George’s Hospital on Sunday 10 July which was hosted by Ronald McDonald House Tooting, the independent charity that provides free ‘home away from home’ accommodation to families with seriously ill children in hospital.
Last year, Ronald McDonald House Tooting helped 123 families stay close to their children being treated at St George’s Hospital. The House is one of 14 Ronald McDonald Houses in the UK and has eight en-suite bedrooms, a kitchen, laundry facilities and a lounge area, enabling families to continue to operate as a family unit.
The fun-filled day, held in the car park of St George’s Hospital, raised a total of £2,600, which will go towards the running costs of the House. Those who came along enjoyed countless stalls of delicious food and handcrafted gifts, with live-bands and entertainment throughout the day.
The whole community came together to put on the event, including families who previously stayed at the Tooting House and volunteers from local McDonald’s stores. Dr Allin-Khan was there to show her support. Working as a doctor in the A&E at St George’s Hospital, she saw at first hand the support Ronald McDonald House Tooting offers to families. She hosted the raffle and made a speech, praising the House for providing families with a comfortable place to stay that's close to their child, so they have less stress and more time to relax together.
House manager of Ronald McDonald House Tooting, Rachel Tween, says:
“It was such a fantastic day and it was lovely to see families who stayed at the Ronald McDonald House Tooting re-unite with staff from the Hospital and House. I’d also like to say a massive thank you to all the volunteers who helped out on the day as it couldn’t have happened without them. Events like these are crucial, because Ronald McDonald House Charities is an independent charity we rely on donations to ensure our House at St George’s Hospital is available for the hundreds of families who need us each year.”
St George’s Hospital Charity, Friends of St George’s and the Marfan Trust were also invited to raise money through the stalls and entertainment on offer.
For more information on Ronald McDonald House Charities, visit www.rmhc.org.uk
For more information, pictures or to speak to someone please contact:
Lucy Yelland T: 020 7922 7720 M. 07515499662
Notes to editors
1. Ronald McDonald House Tooting is run by Ronald McDonald House Charities - an independent charity that provides free ‘home away from home’ accommodation at hospitals across the UK. The Charity enables seriously ill children to have their families close by when they are undergoing treatment and allows them to maintain a degree of normal family life.
2. Last year, the Tooting House helped 123 families stay close to their children being treated at St George’s Hospital.
3. There are 14 Ronald McDonald Houses in the UK and in 2015, they helped support over 7,000 families with children in hospital.
4. Ronald McDonald House Charities relies on the generosity of supporters and fundraisers, including McDonald’s customers, without whom it would be unable to continue its work.
5. The Charity was founded in 1989 and has been keeping families together for more than 25 years.